DJ Drama and Don Cannon Arrested
The RIAA is certainly taking its anti-piracy crusade to, forgive the term, a new level. Last night (Tuesday) they raided the Atlanta studio of popular mixtape DJs Drama and Don Cannon. Authorities served the two search warrants for music piracy, confiscating 50,000 mixtapes, computers, recording equipment, money, bank statements, and vehicles, or if you prefer the Atlanta Fox News version, they confiscated "everything."
The RIAA's Matthew Kilgo told the station that, "They've got a website that they're advertising from. That's where you place your order and that's where you're orders are shipped out." We're still not sure what's wrong with having a website or advertising, but who knows? The Supreme Court might be working on that. It was also noted during the news clip that counterfeiting CDs goes "hand in hand" with other crimes.
Although 17 people were detained during this time, Drama and Cannon were the only two arrested. Their website, Gangstagrillz.com, is currently shut down.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player