Ola Podrida Signs To Plug Research
Mournful acoustic chords, hints of bluegrass, and angelic vocals aren't necessarily what spring to mind when you hear the word "Brooklyn," but that's one of the things that makes David Wingo (a.k.a. Ola Podrida) an appropriate choice for Plug Research's most recent artist signing. The up-and-coming songwriter, whose work includes film scores for George Washington and The Guatemalan Handshake, will release his self-titled debut album in the spring.
If the clips we've heard are anything to go by, expect light folk sounds blended with moodier melodies that hint at something melancholy beneath the serene surface of the tracks. It's a breath of rural air swept into Plug Research's predominately urban, electronic roster, but given the label's taste for eclecticism, it's also a highly appropriate move. Now imagine what collaborations with labelmates like Daedelus and Dntel would foster.
Ola Podria's self-titled album is out April 3, 2007 on Plug Research.
02/09 Seattle, WA: Northwest Film Forum (Solo Set)
02/17 Brooklyn, NY: Pete's Candy Store
02/24 Brooklyn, NY: Union Pool
03/17 Austin, TX: SXSW–Plug Research Label Showcase
- NewsSteffi and Martyn Announce Collaborative EP as Doms & Deykers
- NewsAirhead Preps New Single for Hemlock
- NewsHyperdub Details Third 10th-Anniversary Compilation
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsWolfgang Voigt Pays Tribute to the Roland 303 for Kompakt's 303rd Release
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- Record Store Week: Co-Op 87
XLR8R Downloads Player