RIP Disco D
It's been reported that Disco D committed suicide on Monday, January 22, 2007, at the age of 27.
Born in St. Louis as David Shayman, the producer was hailed as an innovator and eventually grew so much in status that he was producing work for the likes of 50 Cent and Trick Daddy. He also launched his Gringo Louco imprint with the Brazilian rap collective BRAZA. Under the Disco D alias he worked on two Grammy-nominated albums.
He suffered from long-term depression as well as bipolar disorder.
Services will be held in Ann Arbor, MI later this week. You can pay your respects to this great producer by leaving a post at myspace.com/gringolouco.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player