V2 Records Restructures Company
Starting last Friday, V2 Records, whose roster includes the Crystal Method, the Raconteurs, and the White Stripes, will no longer release new material from its artists, opting instead to focus on its back catalog.
It's a move that carries more repercussions than your average consumer would at first consider. Employees–thus far the number is estimated to be 35–have been let go, including label president Andy Gershon, who summed up the situation pretty seamlessly when he told billboard.com he wishes "the best for everybody that's still left at V2 and [its parent company] Sheridan Square." Judging from the looks of things, that won't be many by the time the so-called restructuring is complete. Although V2 will continue holding rights to all releases in the back catalog, it's back to label shopping for the artists.
The company is also looking for ways to expand its digital operations. It's an interesting direction to take, seeing as the only genre of music that the label will continue releasing is gospel.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player