Waxploitation Launches 3rd Darfur Charity
More at the forefront of the population's thoughts now than perhaps three years ago, Darfur's conflict between armed forces and the government-backed militia (known as "Janjaweed") has already killed thousands and turned over 2 million civilians into refugees. And it often seems there's no end in sight to this slaughter and displacement.
In 2004 Waxploitation, home of Gnarls Barkley, Danger Mouse, and others, released its Genocide in Sudan compilation, the proceeds of which went towards relief for the Darfur crisis. Two eBay auctions with the same idea in mind followed, and today the label announces a third.
"Even though Darfur has become a prominent issue, it's important we don't forget that it's a dire crisis there that is getting worse," says Waxploitation founder Jeff Antebi. "We can't assume the attention Darfur is getting is the same thing as assistance. Real help is as crucial now as it ever was."
With that in mind, Antebi and crew have gathered items from Gnarls Barkley, The Roots, Talib Kweli, Panic! at the Disco, Sonic Youth, Peaches, Adult Swim, and many more to be auctioned off at eBay beginning Tuesday, January 16, 2007. Proceeds go towards the Save Darfur Coalition, one of the largest human rights organizations and non-profit advocacy group Human Rights Watch. Jump online tomorrow and help fight this crisis, and let's hope its end lies somewhere in the near future.
Genocide in Sudan was released in 2004 to raise aid money for the crisis.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player