Madlib Releases Final Beat Generation Album
- Words: Pete Babb
BBE's Beat Generation series more or less put the label on the map, giving producers like Jay Dee, Marley Marl, Pete Rock, and will.i.am (whose offering was surprisingly solid) free reign to put out whatever creations they could concoct. Over the years, the series gained praise for helping highlight the production prowess of some overlooked-at-the-time folks (Jay Dee, DJ Jazzy Jeff), but it also garnered not-undue criticism for putting out what amounted to glorified beat tapes (*ahem* Marley Marl).
So who better to put the final nail in the Beat Generation coffin than Madlib, who certainly has enough throwaway beats sitting around to overload an indie label? Sonically, you should know what to expect by now. As for a title and release date… those haven't been set yet, but there's got to be a week somewhere this year that doesn't have a Madlib release scheduled, so it'll probably come out then. Stay tuned.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- Feature20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- PodcastMaxmillion Dunbar
- NewsXosar Preps New EP for Valcrond Video
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player