Madlib Releases Final Beat Generation Album
- Words: Pete Babb
BBE's Beat Generation series more or less put the label on the map, giving producers like Jay Dee, Marley Marl, Pete Rock, and will.i.am (whose offering was surprisingly solid) free reign to put out whatever creations they could concoct. Over the years, the series gained praise for helping highlight the production prowess of some overlooked-at-the-time folks (Jay Dee, DJ Jazzy Jeff), but it also garnered not-undue criticism for putting out what amounted to glorified beat tapes (*ahem* Marley Marl).
So who better to put the final nail in the Beat Generation coffin than Madlib, who certainly has enough throwaway beats sitting around to overload an indie label? Sonically, you should know what to expect by now. As for a title and release date… those haven't been set yet, but there's got to be a week somewhere this year that doesn't have a Madlib release scheduled, so it'll probably come out then. Stay tuned.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsFriends of Friends Details Fifth Anniversary Comp Featuring Shlohmo, Shigeto, Machinedrum, Nicolas Jaar, and More
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player