The Week In Music
Festival madness has officially arrived. Inboxes around the world are getting spammed with reminders about Winter Music Conference registration and updates to the South By Southwest 2007 lineup, which was officially announced Thursday. A careful search past an unsettling number of “The” bands on the Austin, TX festival’s bill reveals acts like Ariel Pink, Pigeon John, 120 Days, Daedelus, Macromantics, and more. Load these guys onto your iPod and gear up for the shows.
Speaking of the iconic digital music device, Steve Jobs posted a letter on his site Tuesday that examines the various ups and downs of the digital rights management (DRM) system (that’s the stuff that won’t let you play an iTunes song on any other music player). In the post, the Apple CEO urged major labels (all four of them) to consider DRM-free distribution because “DRMs haven’t worked, and may never work.” It’s a noble move on Jobs’ part, and a shame Warner Music CEO Edgar Bronfman had to go and reject the suggestion “in no uncertain terms” almost immediately. Can’t say we’re surprised though.
For those in the Bay Area, tonight marks the San Francisco debut of Carl Craig’s Demon Days, the traveling event series featuring Carl and friends ripping up the dancefloor with bad-ass techno beats. Grab your raincoat and we’ll see you in the club.
Finally, we leave you with a selection of tracks the XLR8R crew has been playing on repeat throughout the week. Instructions on hacking DRM-encrypted music files not included.
1. J Dilla “Wild”
2. Klaxons “Golden Skans” (Sebastian Remix)
3. Eats Tapes “Face Shredder”
4. The Gossip “Standing In The Way Of Control” (Soulwax Remix)
5. Linval Thompson “Kung Fu Man”
6. DJ Mehdi “I Am Somebody feat. Chromeo”
7. Caetano Veloso “Rocks”
8. The Entirety of Chrome Children Volume 2
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player