Einsturzende Neubauten Releases DVD
- Words: Fred Miketa
November 4, 2004 was a special day for Berlin. It’s not because of a random techno party that turned out several thousand patrons. Nor was it a monumental historical holiday. It was the day that Blixa Bargeld’s Einstürzende Neubauten, along with an accompanying 100-person choir, stormed the dilapidated Palast Der Republik (the former Parliament building of the now-defunct DDR) for what might be called the performance of the century. The concert has now evolved into Palast Der Republik: the DVD. God, yes.
Einstürzende Neubauten is beyond infamous for its standout live performances. Utilizing obscured vocal keys and instruments from all over the map (gongs, glockenspiels, and chimes), the band's rare live performances are more like a mature, less drunken orgy of ancient Rome. And Palast is no exception.
Alongside the choir-as-army, Neubauten utilized the draping steel and oddly molded tubing of the Palast Der Republik as instruments, incorporating the surroundings so that those at home also feel immersed in the experience.
The DVD also comes with full commentary from the band, as well as unreleased audio tracks. Given the band’s German roots and passion for yielding new and gargantuan sounds from any and all sources, Palast may be the best visual insight into this incessantly evolving, iconoclastic band.
Palast Der Republik is available now on MVD Entertainment.
1. Haus Der Luege
4. Youme & Meyou
5. Perpetuum Mobile
6. Dead Friends (Around the Corner)
10. Unseasonable Weather
12. Vox Populi
13. Was Ist Ist
14. Ein leichtes leises Saeuseln
15. Sabrina, Alles
Encore Performence Tracks
1. Die Befindlichkeit des Landes
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player