Gavin Watson and Skins Invade PYMCA
- Words: Cameron Octigan
London's Photographic Youth Musical Culture Archive (PYMCA) opens its latest exhibition, which features the work of British photographer Gavin Watson, who explores early ‘80s skinhead youth culture. The show coincides with the release of Shane Meadows’ film This is England, a piece that follows a similar trajectory: the story of one boy grappling with violence, race, and, unsurprisingly, masculinity.
Watson has been lauded as a cultural commentator, but his artistic approach engages viewers on a personal level as well. As opposed to merely discussing and documenting some cultural phenomenon from a critical distance, he draws from his own experiences as a youth in Thatcher's working-class England to provides an emotional resonance audiences of his photos can relate to.
This was England runs from April 10 – April 20, 2007.
41 Clerkenwell Road, London
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- Feature20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- PodcastMaxmillion Dunbar
- NewsXosar Preps New EP for Valcrond Video
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player