Gavin Watson and Skins Invade PYMCA
- Words: Cameron Octigan
London's Photographic Youth Musical Culture Archive (PYMCA) opens its latest exhibition, which features the work of British photographer Gavin Watson, who explores early ‘80s skinhead youth culture. The show coincides with the release of Shane Meadows’ film This is England, a piece that follows a similar trajectory: the story of one boy grappling with violence, race, and, unsurprisingly, masculinity.
Watson has been lauded as a cultural commentator, but his artistic approach engages viewers on a personal level as well. As opposed to merely discussing and documenting some cultural phenomenon from a critical distance, he draws from his own experiences as a youth in Thatcher's working-class England to provides an emotional resonance audiences of his photos can relate to.
This was England runs from April 10 – April 20, 2007.
41 Clerkenwell Road, London
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- Feature20 Questions - Garnier Talks Teenage Radio Shows, Living in the South of France, and Paying Way Too Much for The KLF
- NewsSBTRKT Announces 'Transitions' 12" Series; Stream All Six Tracks Now
- NewsRegis and Silent Servant Ready New EP as Sandra Electronics
- 20 Questions - Garnier Talks Teenage Radio Shows, Living in the South of France, and Paying Way Too Much for The KLF
- Hi-Five - P. Morris Revisits His Roots and Lists His Five Favorite Go-Go Tracks
- A Generous Environment: Thoughts, Ideas, and Questions from patten
- Hi-Five - Kerri Chandler Lists the Five Tracks That Influenced Him the Most
XLR8R Downloads Player