Gavin Watson and Skins Invade PYMCA
- Words: Cameron Octigan
London's Photographic Youth Musical Culture Archive (PYMCA) opens its latest exhibition, which features the work of British photographer Gavin Watson, who explores early ‘80s skinhead youth culture. The show coincides with the release of Shane Meadows’ film This is England, a piece that follows a similar trajectory: the story of one boy grappling with violence, race, and, unsurprisingly, masculinity.
Watson has been lauded as a cultural commentator, but his artistic approach engages viewers on a personal level as well. As opposed to merely discussing and documenting some cultural phenomenon from a critical distance, he draws from his own experiences as a youth in Thatcher's working-class England to provides an emotional resonance audiences of his photos can relate to.
This was England runs from April 10 – April 20, 2007.
41 Clerkenwell Road, London
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player