Pon Di Wire: A Reggae News Flash!
- Words: Tomas Palermo
U.S.-based reggae labels are once again heating up. In the 1980s, labels like Nighthawk–home to The Itals, The Gladiators, etc.–and Shanachie–with artists like Augustus Pablo and Culture–were among a healthy crop of American imprints offering consistently excellent releases by Jamaica’s best. Now, operations like VP Records handle mainly bigger releases, but several young 7” boutique labels are making their mark. Oakland’s four-year running Lustre Kings had success recently with their Red Razor riddim (Luciano, Norris Man, Natty King), and now New Jersey’s Upful One Records presents their latest, The Scalawag Riddim. Produced by Jillian Wess, Luciano’s "When Music Hits," along with other tracks on the version, sounds well nice!
The always-insightful Yard Flex.com hits us with an excellent commentary exploring the history of betrayal in dancehall music culture. From Supercat and Ninja Man’s falling out, to Bounty Killer and Vybz Kartel, Flex breaks down the history of how dancehall is a fractious business.
Speaking of betrayal and envy–is this also a growing trend among female dancers and club attendants? The Jamaica Star reports on the x-rated dance-and fashion competitions captured under the ever-present glare of dancehall-party videographers’ “video light.”
More related dancehall business: the latest on clubs, street dances, dance moves, videos, and mixed CDs at one of the web’s most devoted ragga one-stops–Dancehall Reggae.
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Ben UFO
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- NewsStream "Fifty Fathoms" from Marquis Hawkes' Upcoming EP
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player