Stones Throw and Parra Event
Stones Throw clearly hasn't gotten its fill of parties. Though the 2007 onslaught of SXSW/Miami madness is less than a week old in the music scene's collective memory, the L.A.-based hip-hop label returns home just in time for another event, this time to showcase the bizarre-but-playful graphics of Dutch illustrator Parra.
Given Stones Throw's evident taste for the not-so-cutsey side of illustrated characters (see Quasimoto's ever-present cigarette, Madvillain's menacing mask, and Chrome Children, who seem appropriate for a haunted house), the self-taught, Amsterdam-based artist's often bawdy and audacious characters make for an apt presence at any of the label's parties. A slew of Parra-designed items, from silkscreens, to shoes, to T-shirts, will be on display at the event.
Festivities go down at 7 p.m. on Thursday, April 5, at The Standard Hotel in downtown L.A.
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsWatch a New Video for Fatima's "Rest in Peace"
- NewsIkonika Streams New Track from Upcoming Hyperdub EP, Drops New Mix
- MP3Remote "Alcyone (Matt Walsh Remix)"
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player