Stones Throw and Parra Event
Stones Throw clearly hasn't gotten its fill of parties. Though the 2007 onslaught of SXSW/Miami madness is less than a week old in the music scene's collective memory, the L.A.-based hip-hop label returns home just in time for another event, this time to showcase the bizarre-but-playful graphics of Dutch illustrator Parra.
Given Stones Throw's evident taste for the not-so-cutsey side of illustrated characters (see Quasimoto's ever-present cigarette, Madvillain's menacing mask, and Chrome Children, who seem appropriate for a haunted house), the self-taught, Amsterdam-based artist's often bawdy and audacious characters make for an apt presence at any of the label's parties. A slew of Parra-designed items, from silkscreens, to shoes, to T-shirts, will be on display at the event.
Festivities go down at 7 p.m. on Thursday, April 5, at The Standard Hotel in downtown L.A.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player