Stones Throw and Parra Event
Stones Throw clearly hasn't gotten its fill of parties. Though the 2007 onslaught of SXSW/Miami madness is less than a week old in the music scene's collective memory, the L.A.-based hip-hop label returns home just in time for another event, this time to showcase the bizarre-but-playful graphics of Dutch illustrator Parra.
Given Stones Throw's evident taste for the not-so-cutsey side of illustrated characters (see Quasimoto's ever-present cigarette, Madvillain's menacing mask, and Chrome Children, who seem appropriate for a haunted house), the self-taught, Amsterdam-based artist's often bawdy and audacious characters make for an apt presence at any of the label's parties. A slew of Parra-designed items, from silkscreens, to shoes, to T-shirts, will be on display at the event.
Festivities go down at 7 p.m. on Thursday, April 5, at The Standard Hotel in downtown L.A.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- NewsWatch Holly Herndon's Video for New Single, "Home"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player