In 1999, Metro Area shook up a flaccid house music scene with the release of "Atmosphrique," the first of several influential singles created by New Jersey producers Morgan Geist and Darshan Jesrani. Likewise, Metro Area’s 2002 self-titled album was a critic’s favorite and widely considered a club classic.
Read more »
Canada may not be a hotbed for rappers, but 21-year-old Roland “Cadence Weapon” Pemberton has done the great North American nation proud. His debut album, Breaking Kayfabe (Upper Class), not only earned him a Polaris Music Prize nomination, but it also set him a step above his aged contemporaries, gaining him remixes for the likes of Lady Sovereign, Disco D, and Kid Sister. Read more »
A look at 2008’s Plug Music Awards tells us that, though it may not be groundbreaking indie-underdogs, this year’s ceremony may be one of the most interesting competitions between independent titans in recent history. Who wouldn’t take note of an Artist of the Year battle between El-P, Animal Collective, and Radiohead? Hmmm. Predictably, Justice, Of Montreal, and Arcade Fire are up for nearly every award. Exciting.
Read more »
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player