The folks over at Wham City have put a lot blood, sweat, and caffeinated soda into making Baltimore a haven for unabashed weirdness and sweaty parties. With a style that seems to both venerate and eviscerate the popular culture icons of the '80s and '90s, the art collective makes and promotes music that usually sounds like an old video game strung out on energy drinks and psychedelics. Read more »
Bass Reaction’s theme this month: Enter the Technodrome. Lately, dubstep has been infiltrated by interesting IDM and dub techno elements. For evidence, check out completely superb new recordings by 2562 (Aerial, on Tectonic), Scuba (A Mutual Antipathy, on Hotflush), iTAL tEK (Cyclical, on Planet Mu). and Appleblim’s standout mix compilation for Tempa, Dubstep All-Stars Volume 6. Read more »
Most folks have, at some point, spent time holed up in their bedrooms crafting meticulous playlists of their favorite tunes, but few have ever won anything for such efforts. Car company and marketing powerhouse Scion is ready to give obscure indie music lovers their due, with the Scion Playlist Contest.
Read more »
When it comes to music, Girl Talk will settle for nothing less than spectacular. His recent album, Feed the Animals, used 300 samples in 50 minutes, was released under an extensive pay-what-you-want plan, and now the inimitable man born Greg Gillis is packing his bags for a rather epic tour.
Read more »
International Reggae Day was Tuesday July 1, but continues online as a “virtual festival.” Visit the site to check out past and present IRD events, pictures, and artist profiles. Hear audio and see video on IRD’s MySpace page. Several veteran reggae artists praised IRD for recognizing the genre's impact and contributions to Jamaican culture.
Read more »
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player