World Clash Jamaica winner Mighty Crown went down early. Killamanjaro, featuring Ricky Trooper, was voted out too. Matterhorn, Sentinel, and Black Kat nah mek it to the finale. When it came down to dub fi dub, it was two veterans, Jamaica’s Bass Odyssey and the U.K.'s David Rodigan, who stood across from each other in the last round of the seventh and final UK Cup Clash held Sunday, April 6 at the Stratford Rex in London. Bass Odyssey, known as “sound from country,” lead by selector Squingy, was victorious. More details soon. Read more »
The members of Pelican have proven over the years that their informed, nuanced instrumental metal is anything but ironic, though that fact might have been unclear at first. "I have to tell people that I don't wear t-shirts as a joke," guitarist Laurent Lebec once told an interviewer about a Def Leppard shirt fans kept asking about. Though their songs explored minor key melodies on 2005's The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw, expect a heavy pummeling of the mind in the live sets they'll be performing with over the next few months.
Read more »
U.K.-based weirdo-rock outfit The Chap has signed to Ann Arbor's Ghostly International, on which the group will release its third album, Mega Breakfast. A quick trip to the band's MySpace page tells us the group has expanded its sound since 2005's Ham, adding choruses of vocals, samples galore, and some very danceable beats. And of course, there's the odd, chugging guitar riff here and there that gives the tracks a little bit of much-needed edge. Read more »
It’s easy to turn on the radio and immediately be depressed by the state of commercial hip-hop playlists. On the one hand, there’s very little actual hip-hop being played, as R&B artists like Mary, Trey, and Keyshia split time with ringtone rappers like Flo Rida, Plies, and Gucci Mane. On the other, hip-hop acts that do make it into rotation (Lupe, Jay-Z, Kanye) are hammered over and over until you’re sick of the song. Read more »
A little over a year ago, Brooklyn dance-punkers !!! dropped their Warp debut, Myth Takes, and since then, we've seen the band remixed by everyone from Hot Chip to Scottie B. Nothing beats a live !!! performance though, as last year's sold-out performances will attest, and this summer just got brighter when the band announced a slew of dates for June, July, and August. Venues for several of the dates have yet to be confirmed, so keep your ears open for more info.
06/13 Manchester, TN: Bonnaroo Festival
Read more »
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player