Beating out major Jamaican selectors Black Kat and Tony Matterhorn, Japan’s Mighty Crown repeated as champions at Irish & Chin’s eighth annual World Clash Jamaica: Death Before Dishonor event. The dancehall DJ music showcase took place Easter Monday, March 24 in Montego Bay at Pier One. A preliminary event was also featured, the veterans clash, with New York’s Downbeat, Jamaica’s King Jammy, Black Scorpio sounds, and the U.K.’s David Rodigan. Read more »
Black Entertainment Television (BET) will film a benefit concert for Team Jamaica Bickle, an organization that supports aspiring Jamaican athletes. The “Team Jamaica on the Road to Beijing” reggae charity concert will take place at Brooklyn College on April 20, and feature Richie Stephens, Etana, Duane Stephenson, and Jamaican sports legend Donald Quarrie. Read more »
No, Zoo York isn't a band. For those who live beneath rocks (or don't care about skate culture), the New York-based streetwear company has long sponsored a team of professional and amateur skaters, and is now taking a select few of them halfway across the globe for its first-ever South African tour.
Read more »
Shortly after their album drops, the members of Does It Offend You, Yeah? (above) will hit the road on their first Stateside tour. The rock-meets-dance-making Brits will be joined by the infamous ladies of Tampa, FL-based trio Yo Majesty for these dates, so a good night's sleep and perhaps a ginseng injection is recommended before you head out to the show. Dancing and shouting of lyrics will probably be a requirement.
Read more »
Greg Gillis, the non-stop touring machine known to his fans as Girl Talk, has finally taken a break from life on the road and is working on a follow-up to 2006's Night Ripper. The tentatively titled Wild Peace IV: Feed the Animals, Raise the Dead is set for release late spring/early summer '08, and will be available online through Illegal Art.
Read more »
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsFriends of Friends Details Fifth Anniversary Comp Featuring Shlohmo, Shigeto, Machinedrum, Nicolas Jaar, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player