Portland-based hip-hop duo Lifesavas is unquestionably one of the most soulful outfits to grace the indie scene without coming close to cheesy soul status." Gutterfly is another tight offering beaming with horn-sample-heavy, production and lyrics that prove how fly both VURSATYL and JUMBO's collaborative work can actually be. "Gutterfly," the single, features Camp Lo (the East Coast soul reps), whipping up more versatile hip-hop that Shaft himself could vibe with.Read more »
Odd Nosdam Level Live Wires Anticon.
Odd Nosdam is to experimental hip-hop what Herbert is to disco. Although samples abound, it’s the field recordings (exploding SUVs, gang shootings) in his latest LP that make it a truly intriguing (and often moving) collection of cinematic, fuzzy bricolage. Put this on your headphones, look at the people sitting around you on the bus at night, and enjoy.
Read more »
This was a special week here at XLR8R video central. We started the week right with a new age experience from France's easy rider Air, then we stepped into Modular territory with the shirtless wit of Bumblebeez. Then we mellowed ourselves out with hazy visuals courtesy of Blonde Redhead, only shake ourselves up again with half-nude models and levitation via Digitalism. What better way to end the work week than with the sensitive glitch-pop of DNTEL? It's on.
We kicked off the week with Finland-based mood-swinger Vladislav Delay at his most realized. Next we paved through more B-More art-core courtesy of Videohippos, before London-based duo Motor came through with the death-electro track of the year. Of course we had to follow-up with a mid-week thumper from remix-masters A Touch of Class. In preparation for the weekend, we got a choice cut from tech-house staple Phonique. Go time has arrived.
Lady Sovereign’s best tracks were written before her newfound fame, and the midget who acts even younger than she looks has worked hard to cultivate her dramatic reputation. This week a video surfaced of her in total meltdown mode at Studio B in Brooklyn–and it’s great. Before crying and being dragged off stage, Sovereign commented that she was only playing the show because she was broke and imparted these words of wisdom: “America fucks you up.Read more »
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Tycho
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player