Boom Bip Preps New Album
- Words: Fred Miketa
Fresh from his work with Busdriver on the recently released Roadkillovercoat (Epitaph), Boom Bip is back with his first solo endeavor since 2005’s Blue Eyed in the Red Room.
Saccchrilege is something of a left turn for the L.A.-based artist, who is more commonly associated with artsy hip-hop à la Daedelus. This is an electro record–hands down. Functioning on bassy percussion and the crunch of analog synth power, the EP is a healthy ascent into the realm of dance music, though it never fully abandons hip-hop (see Ali Lee’s Uffie-influenced rap on "Coogi Sweater"). Rather, Boom Bip takes a more experimental approach to the genre's traditional sounds, adding the rebel disco sensibilties of Black Devil Disco Club, the choppy grooves of Daft Punk, and the more banging work of his Mush and Anticon. contemporaries.
However his brand of hip-hop evolves, expect plenty of risk taking, genre mashing, and pleasantly unpredictable results.
Sacchrilege is out April 23, 2007 on Lex Records.
1. Snook Adis
2. Rat Tail
3. Coogi Sweater (feat. Ali Lee)
4. The Pinks
5. One of Eleven
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsFriends of Friends Details Fifth Anniversary Comp Featuring Shlohmo, Shigeto, Machinedrum, Nicolas Jaar, and More
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player