Motown Gets Remixed, Latin-Style
Though Motown has been lauded as defining one of the most innovative and energetic eras in American musical history, there are still people courageous enough to refute such genius and try reinterpreting the hits. On Motown Remixed Vol. 2, 11 different producers chop up and reinterpret classics from Diana Ross, The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, and The Jackson 5 (pictured below), to name a few.
These aren’t mere producers, though. Vol. 2 focuses specifically on Latin producers, namely SPK (Ruff Ryders, Jennifer Lopez), George Noriega, Jodi Marr (Ricky Martin), and Randy Cantor (Ricky Martin). In other words, this is no Nortec Collective spin-off–these guys have been behind commercial Latin hits for a minute, not to mention some Grammy awards.
Even with such industry credibility, can anyone really remix The Temptations’ “Poppa Was A Rollin’ Stone?” Or better yet, Marvin Gaye’s “I Heard It Through the Grapevine?” It may be sacrilege in some circles, but if anyone needs an über-produced Latin remix of “Square Biz” by Teena Marie for one of those moments, Motown Remixed is the best (and probably the only) place to turn.
Motown Remixed is out May 22, 2007 on Universal Music.
1. J Walker & The All Stars “Shotgun (Los Amigos Invisibles Mix)”
2. Martha & The Vandellas “(Love is Like A) Heat Wave (David Elizondo Mix)”
3. The Temptations “Papa Was A Rollin’ Stone (David Elizondo Mix)”
4. Jackson 5 “I Want You Back (SPK Mix)”
5. Diana Ross “The Boss (Chosen Few Mix)”
6. Jackson 5 “Dancing Machine (Miami Mix)
7. The Temptations “I Can’t Get Next to You (Randy Cantor Mix)”
8. Marvin Gaye “I heard It Through the Grapevine (Fun Machine Mix)”
9. Teena Marie “Square Biz (Sonidero Nacional Remix)”
10. Dennis Edwards feat. Seidah Garrett “Don’t Look Any Further (DJ U.F. Low Mix)”
11. Smokey Robinson “Aqui Con Tido (Being With you) (Eric Bodi Rivera Mix)”