Scion Hosts MC Competition
- Words: Fred Miketa
The dudes at Scion may have watched 8 Mile a few too many times–but that’s going to be a great thing for one lucky MC who deserves to blow up. Instead of plotting corny commercials and ad campaigns that promote wild, four-wheel drive trips through mountain passes, or a roomy backseats for the kids, Scion, it seems, prefers to hook up a talented rapper with a bunch of money and a marketing contract. Take that Ford.
Scion’s The Prospect is a pretty straightforward competition. Contestants send or upload their demos, images, lyrics, and bios to the competition's website, where they'll be judged by Talib Kweli's production machine Hi-Tek , Lenny S. (VP A&R Def Jam/Roc-A-Fella), and Ryan Ford (Executive Editor, The Source). The winner receives a $75,000 marketing deal, including $5,000, a track produced by Hi-Tek, a fully produced music video, the "opportunity" to perform live, and other promotional prizes.
The Prospect submissions are due by May 21, 2007, and a winner will be announced on July 30. While entering the competition isn’t quite as compelling as 8 Mile, it sure as hell beats trying to sell your busted CDR demos on the street.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player