Summer Reggae Heat
- Words: Tomas Palermo
Jamaica, Queens, New York reggae imprint VP is preparing for one of its most active summer album release schedules in recent years. The label has recently seen success with ’07 recordings from Richie Spice (In the Streets to Africa), Lady Saw (Walk Out), and the King Jammy Selector’s Choice series.
The label's summer cornucopia kicks off with ladies’ man and rising lovers-rock singer Da’Ville’s (pictured below) debut for VP, On My Mind, available May 22. Currently the album’s namesake single (featuring Sean Paul) has been in the top five of London’s and Japan’s charts. Da’Ville’s silky voice, gentle harmonies, poppy arrangements–imagine a Jamaican Ne-Yo–should assure his long-term presence in Jamaican music.
Rasta singer Ras Shiloh’s Coming Home, produced by reggae legend Bobby ‘Digital’ Dixon, is slated for June 19. The album features the singles “Give a Little Love” and a remake of Aswad’s rootsy-lovers track “Need Your Love.” Coming Home features guest collaborations with Morgan Heritage, Natural Black, and Bascom X, and listeners can expect smooth, conscious singing in the vein of Garnett Silk.
Compilations will round out the summer and allow listeners to catch up with the best of the dozens of new singles released daily in Jamaica. Reggae Gold 2007 (out June 19) contains hits like Pressure’s “Love and Affection,” Shaggy’s “More Woman,” “Bring It” by Elephant Man, and Sean Paul’s “Watch Them Roll”.
The summer doesn’t slow down, with big, big deejay albums from Mavado (Gangsta For Life), Assassin (Gully Sit’n), and Shaggy (Intoxication), planned for July and August. VP has also tentatively announced new releases from Elephant Man (June/July), I Wayne (August), Morgan Heritage (Sept.), and T.O.K. (Sept).
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player