Walt Disney Concert Hall Hosts Pravda
- Words: Cameron Octigan
L.A.’s Walt Disney Concert Hall is set to host Pravda ("truth," in Russian), a less family-friendly event series, namely one that examines the role of artistic repression in Stalin’s Soviet Union.
Though the series has several parts, the gem in the crown takes place on Saturday, May 26, when Amon Tobin, Cut Chemist, DJ Spooky, J-Rocc, Peanut Butter Wolf, and Mumbles & Gone, along with the dublab soundsystem, perform remixes of the music of Shostakovich, Prokofiev, and Mosolov. Images from iconic Russian films The Battleship Potemkin, Alexander Nevsky, The Cranes are Flying, and Soy Cuba will be manipulated and projected in conjunction with the audio, providing a historical reference point on Russian culture for event attendees.
Following this initial showcase, German-born musician Christoph Bull will give a special organ performance, and Leon Theremin’s full ten Theremin Orchestra–originally written for the world's first electronic orchestra–will be performed for the first time since its original screening at Carnegie Hall, in 1932.
Pravda takes place beginning at 10 p.m. on Saturday, May 26, at The Walt Disney Concert Hall in L.A.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player