Chromeo Readies Fancy Footwork
- Words: Ross Holland
Referencing ’80s synth-funk may seem like a played-out tactic after the recent explosion of ironic electro/new wave/punk-funk bands on the scene, but Canadian duo Chromeo doesn’t merely reference the cultural zeitgeist of the era–they embody it. Call them nostalgic, call them hopeless romantics, but don’t call them kitschy or ironic.
For the follow-up to 2004’s She’s In Control, Dave One and P-Thugg have crafted a similarly sincere, sex-fueled vocoder-funk explosion. On Fancy Footwork, expect bouncing electro and R&B drum programming, plenty of wiggling, analog synths, ridiculous catchy hooks, and more than enough lessons in love from the soon-to-be Dr. Dave One (he’s also earning a Ph.D. in French lit at Columbia). Although Fancy Footwork may not show Chromeo turning in any major new directions, it certainly catches the duo perfecting and purifying a sound that is increasingly their own.
Fancy Footwork is out July 24, 2007 on Vice.
3. Fancy Footwork
4. Bonafied Lovin’ (Tough Guys)
5. My Girl Is Calling Me (A Liar)
6. Outta Sight
7. Opening Up (Ce Soir on Danse)
8. Momma’s Boy
9. Call Me Up
10. Waiting For You
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player