Mogwai Scores Zidane Film
- Words: Fred Miketa
Now that post-rock veterans Mogwai are practically a household name, it makes sense these five instrumental noisemakers and longtime football fans from Glasgow have pushed their music beyond the confines of the indie pigeonhole and scored the film Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait.
After receiving a heaping amount of acclaim at the 2006 Cannes Film Festival, the soundtrack is likely to open up even more doors for the band. Unlike most sports documentaries, Zidane documents an entire match, a 2005’ game between Real Madrid vs. Villarreal. Rather than focusing on the ball and its subsequent foot action, directors Dennis Dordan and Philippe Parreno instead chose to follow French football hero Zinédine Zidane with 17 synchronized cameras (that’s 92 minutes of footage of one dude).
Mogwai went straight into soundtrack mode after releasing 2006’s Mr. Beast (two of the tracks from that album were featured in the recent Miami Vice film). Best known for its epic, highly moody atmospherics, the band seems a perfect match for a film that goes beyond basic sport-film conventions. Parreno states that, “Mogwai produces sound clouds–the type of music that carries the promise of narration. The toughness of its music–tense rock with guitar interference–goes well with the film. They are real football fans, so they immediately understood our project and they gave it their all.”
Set for release in the US through Fontana Distribution, the film should have football maniacs and cinematic music lovers simultaneously in heaven.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player