UNKLE Releases New Album
- Words: Cameron Octigan
London-based Fabric resident and electronic music titan James Lavelle (a.k.a. UNKLE) is unleashing War Stories–the first UNKLE release on Lavelle’s very own Surrender All imprint. While it’s not exactly clear why the album won’t be released on the more established Mo’ Wax, or how these labels are distinctively different, his third full-length should definitely be a project of vast significance.
The UNKLE project originated as a collaboration between Lavelle, DJ Shadow, and DFA co-owner Tim Goldsworthy, but has since become a playground for experiments with any number of artists, including the Boredoms, Ian Astbury (The Cult), and Twiggy Ramirez (Marilyn Manson). This time around, War Stories features guests like Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age), The Duke Spirit, and Autolux, amongst several other eclectic names.
In homage to the barrage of talent on War Stories, Surrender All is releasing a two-disc limited edition running of the album, complete with a fancy 50-page booklet and an instrumental version of the record. The main album also comes bundled with a 32-page booklet containing photographs from Joshua Tree in California (the desert landscape where a majority of the album was recorded). The next UNKLE chapter has been written.
War Stories is out July 24, 2007 on Surrender All.
3. Hold My Hand
4. Restless (feat. Josh Homme)
5. Keys to the Kingdom (feat. Gavin Clark)
6. Price You Pay
7. Burn My Shadow (feat. Ian Astbury)
8. May Day (feat. The Duke Spirit)
9. Persons & Machinery (feat. Autolux)
10. Twilight (feat. 3D)
11. Morning Rage
13. Broken (feat. Gavin Clark)
14. When Things Explode (feat. Ian Astbury)
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
- Hi-Five - DJ Q Reminisces About His Five Favorite UK Garage Bootlegs
XLR8R Downloads Player