Autista Collective Debuts in San Francisco
- Words: Jennifer Marston
To understand what Brazilian art collective Autista is about, one should go to its website, which describes the group as "a do-it-yourself refuge for Brazilian artists, photographers, musicians, writers, homeless soccer players, and filmmakers that live across the planet."
Autista's other claims to fame are its scores of visual art pieces filled with chaotic color combinations, charmingly strange characters, and scenes that look as if they were conceptualized on some faraway planet humans have yet to comprehend.
The Bay Area will have a taste of such art beginning Thursday, June 14, when Autista takes over AR+Space Gallery for its San Francisco debut exhibition. Curated by the collective's founder, David Charles, and comic book artist Chris Seixas, the show will feature the visually spastic musings of painter Ramon Martins, street artist Sesper (a.k.a. Farofa), interactive artist team Iramos Por Escolha, 19-year old Estandelau, and several others.
Exhibition pieces involved are said to include canvasses, screenprints, paint cans, unusual multimedia tricks, and much more. Given that this is the US debut for many of the individuals involved, it should be a festive occasion, and an exhibition worth checking out during its short run.
An opening reception will be held Thursday, June 14, 2007, at 7 p.m.
The show runs from June 14 - June 24, 2007 at AR+Space Gallery, 1268 Folsom Street, San Francisco.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsAvalon Emerson Gives Away Remix and Edits Collection
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player