- Words: Cameron Octigan
Italian dark-ravers Franz & Shape, have been hard at work refining and solidifying their reverberated ’80s sound. Listen to the duo’s Remix 12” (Relish), featuring Riot in Belgium, Tronik Youth, and Kissy Selllouts for cosmic enlightenment.
Ricardo Villalobos is about a minute away from turning into a cerebral, abstract dubstep artist with his doomy remix for Skull Disco. Click-tech pioneer Alex Smoke is decidedly minimal’s answer to the mathematic riddles of Steve Reich, as found on the “Prima Materia” single.
With techno often splintering off into psychedelia and house, plenty of interesting releases are turning up. Luciano’s “Fourges et Sabres” 12” features two deep and spacious tracks spanning 30 minutes. Be sure to burn one before spinning this. Cocoon’s Compilation G (that’s number 7 in the alphabetical series) is filled with head-swimmers from My My, Cobblestone Jazz, and Audion. Peep Playhouse’s Famous When Dead V, featuring spacious cuts from Isolee and Einzelkind, and be sure to consult Super Flu’s She (Traum) and Lukasz Seliga’s Remix 12”s (Trapez).
Those hungry for trippy, blissed-out compositions have no fear. Âme has returned with Balandine (Innervisions), an album full of far-out, fuzzy-electro that excludes the excesses of Shut Up and Dance!, which was still excellent. Staubgold’s veteran noise-jazz outfit Kammerflimmer Kollektief reaches new orchestral and improvised heights on the ecstasy-friendly Jinx.
Two electro-house entrepreneurs currently raining on Simian Mobile Disco’s parade are Knightlife and Fake Blood. Set for release on Cut Copy’s Cutters imprint, Knightlife’s Leave the Light On beams with distorted dancefloor destruction. The story behind Fake Blood is a mystery: Take the spliced-up tendencies of Mr. Oizo and the gritty electro of Black Strobe, and you’ve got an idea of what’s in store.
If you haven’t had the chance to see UK-based dubstep champ Skream or Efdemin’s residency at Berlin’s Panorama, here’s your chance. BBC Radio 1 and Resident Advisor have recently posted mixes by both artists and they’re out of this galaxy.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player