- Words: Cameron Octigan
Italian dark-ravers Franz & Shape, have been hard at work refining and solidifying their reverberated ’80s sound. Listen to the duo’s Remix 12” (Relish), featuring Riot in Belgium, Tronik Youth, and Kissy Selllouts for cosmic enlightenment.
Ricardo Villalobos is about a minute away from turning into a cerebral, abstract dubstep artist with his doomy remix for Skull Disco. Click-tech pioneer Alex Smoke is decidedly minimal’s answer to the mathematic riddles of Steve Reich, as found on the “Prima Materia” single.
With techno often splintering off into psychedelia and house, plenty of interesting releases are turning up. Luciano’s “Fourges et Sabres” 12” features two deep and spacious tracks spanning 30 minutes. Be sure to burn one before spinning this. Cocoon’s Compilation G (that’s number 7 in the alphabetical series) is filled with head-swimmers from My My, Cobblestone Jazz, and Audion. Peep Playhouse’s Famous When Dead V, featuring spacious cuts from Isolee and Einzelkind, and be sure to consult Super Flu’s She (Traum) and Lukasz Seliga’s Remix 12”s (Trapez).
Those hungry for trippy, blissed-out compositions have no fear. Âme has returned with Balandine (Innervisions), an album full of far-out, fuzzy-electro that excludes the excesses of Shut Up and Dance!, which was still excellent. Staubgold’s veteran noise-jazz outfit Kammerflimmer Kollektief reaches new orchestral and improvised heights on the ecstasy-friendly Jinx.
Two electro-house entrepreneurs currently raining on Simian Mobile Disco’s parade are Knightlife and Fake Blood. Set for release on Cut Copy’s Cutters imprint, Knightlife’s Leave the Light On beams with distorted dancefloor destruction. The story behind Fake Blood is a mystery: Take the spliced-up tendencies of Mr. Oizo and the gritty electro of Black Strobe, and you’ve got an idea of what’s in store.
If you haven’t had the chance to see UK-based dubstep champ Skream or Efdemin’s residency at Berlin’s Panorama, here’s your chance. BBC Radio 1 and Resident Advisor have recently posted mixes by both artists and they’re out of this galaxy.
- NewsCheck Out Caribou's 'Essential Mix' for BBC Radio 1
- NewsListen to Slam's Upcoming 'Reverse Proceed' LP for Soma
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsStream a New Track from Om Unit's Upcoming EP for Metalheadz
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player