Duck Down Records Goes All Out
- Words: Tomas Palermo
The year was 1992, and Enta Da Stage (Nervous Records) by Black Moon, was the album rocking real hip-hop fan’s domes. Different from the often-cartoonish gangster rappers of the time, Buckshot and crew brought high-def resolution to “reality rap” on tracks like ”Who Got The Props” and “How Many Emcees (Must Get Dissed).”
It wasn’t long before Buckshot and affiliate Dru Ha would create a tight-knit crew–the Boot Camp Clik–that included Heltah Skeltah, Smif N Wessun (later renamed Cocoa Brovaz), and Originoo Gun Clappaz. In 1995 the Clik encompassed both a label and marketing company called Duck Down Entertainment.
Headed by Buckshot and Dru Ha, Duck Down has put out albums and compilations by various Boot Camp Clik members, (distributed by Priority Records 1995-2000). From 2002 through April of 2005, Duck Down Records had an exclusive distribution deal with Koch Entertainment, the world’s largest distributor for independent music, before bouncing to Navarre Distribution, and then recently back to Koch.
Following the success in 2007 of Sean Price’s Jesus Price Superstar album, Duck Down is looking to expand its release schedule. Over the next few months, the imprint will release a host of new projects, including Sean Price’s Master P mixtape, Steele’s (of Smif N Wesson) Hotstyle Takeover mixtape, and Boot Camp Clik’s Casualties Of War, which will be released on August 14 (Casualties Of War is not the latest “official” Boot Camp Clik LP, but a collection of tracks recorded for The Last Stand and various Boot Camp Click members' solo projects that were not previously released).
While Heltah Skeltah continues to work on its forthcoming LP (and rumors swirl about Sean Price being courted by major labels) Price will begin working on his next solo LP, Mic Tyson. Slated to arrive in the fall of 2007 are LPs from Smif N Wesson, a still untitled collaborative LP from Sean Price, Black Milk, and Guilty Simpson (that all three members are currently finishing in Detroit), and the highly-anticipated Buckshot and 9th Wonder sequel, The Formula (their official follow-up to the album Chemistry).
- NewsCheck Out Caribou's 'Essential Mix' for BBC Radio 1
- NewsListen to Slam's Upcoming 'Reverse Proceed' LP for Soma
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsStream a New Track from Om Unit's Upcoming EP for Metalheadz
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player