Gear Alert: M-Audio Studiophile AV 40s
- Words: Fred Miketa
It’s amazing how quickly otherwise-intelligent gear heads will drop a wad of cash for those abhorrent iPod docking stations currently sweeping the market, especially when M-Audio offers up a speaker system as resolute as the Studiophile AV 40s.
Unlike a majority of modern desktop speakers, the AV 40s are specifically designed for bedroom composers and producers who want a hassle-free setup that can stand on its own, be taken on the road, etc.
Priced at $200.00, these little dudes come equipped with 4” polypropylene-coated woofers that pump out extreme bass while not crossing the “enough bass to get you evicted” line. They also come with a 20-watt-per-channel built-in amplifier and magnetic shielding that’ll protect the old LCD screen.
Although M-Audio has even more affordable speakers, the AV 40’s are worth the extra cash, and definitely worth second guessing that expensive wooden box designed solely for iPods.
The Studiophile AV 40 Speaker System is available now from M-Audio.
- GearIn the Studio: Surgeon
- NewsWatch a Documentary on the Club Music Culture of Colombia's Caribbean Coast
- FeaturePachanga, Pantha du Prince, and a Japanese Drone Dance: 10 Reasons We Loved MUTEK.MX 2014
- GearKuvo: What Is It, How Does It Work, and Is It a Good Idea? (a.k.a. an XLR8R Interview with Pioneer About Its Newest Product)
- NewsListen to a New Mix from Lucrecia Dalt
XLR8R Downloads Player