Vieux Farka Touré: Mali Gets Mixed Up
- Words: Tomas Palermo
Vieux Farka Touré had some pretty big shoes to fill, but he’s done a damn good job so far. The Malian artist and singer is the son of the Sahara Blues genre’s most respected performer, Ali Farka Touré, who succumbed to cancer in March of last year. Since then, Vieux has ably carried on his father’s legacy, releasing his first solo self-titled work to great acclaim earlier this year. Now comes Vieux Farka Touré Remixed: UFOs Over Bamako (Modiba Productions), dropping August 28, where Toure invites a host of stellar producers to remix his music for a good cause.
10% of the proceeds from Vieux's debut and remix albums goes directly to Bee Sago, a UNICEF-affiliated organization specializing in the manufacture and distribution of insecticide-treated mosquito nets to children and pregnant mothers in Mali, to fight against the spread of malaria.
Produced by Global Beat Fusion author, New York City based journalist and disc jockey Derek Beres, the album truly embraces the essence of Vieux's music, and readies it for the international dance floor. Vieux himself was exposed to music of the Western world from an early age. Growing up listening to reggae, American rock n' roll, and later, dance music, Vieux's creative spirit was destined to reach far beyond the borders of Bamako, Mali.
UFO was envisioned with the help of Vieux’s fans as well. Prior to release, Modiba launched a Creative Commons remix contest that received upwards of 80 submissions, with two of those featured on Vieux Remixed.
Currently Vieux Farka Touré is working with producer/guitarist Ry Cooder (also a friend of his father) for the soundtrack of the upcoming Mike Nichols film, Charlie Wilson's War.
1. Ma Hine Cocore (3rd Bass Remix by Yossi Fine)
2. Wosoubour (Chris Annibell Remix)
3. Sangare (DJ Center Remix)
4. Ana (Goonda Tribal Dub)
5. Ana (Captain Planet Remix)
6. Sangare (Nickodemus Remix)
7. Dounia (The Africa Unite Remix by Cheb I Sabbah)
8. Wosoubour (Eccodek Remix)
9. Ana (Hisboyelroy’s Smooth Dub)
10. Courage (UFOs Over Bamako Remix by Fabian Alsultany)
11. Ma Hine Cocore (Karsh Kale Remix)
- GearKuvo: What Is It, How Does It Work, and Is It a Good Idea? (a.k.a. an XLR8R Interview with Pioneer About Its Newest Product)
- GearIn the Studio: Surgeon
- GearAsk the Experts: Vladislav Delay
- FeaturePachanga, Pantha du Prince, and a Japanese Drone Dance: 10 Reasons We Loved MUTEK.MX 2014
- NewsWatch a Documentary on the Club Music Culture of Colombia's Caribbean Coast
XLR8R Downloads Player