- Words: Cameron Octigan
San Francisco-based blogger Modyfier has created one of the best techno resources on the web, providing an incredible volume of tracks and one of the most comprehensive collections of links out there. A couple months ago, she began collecting mixes from the likes of Chelonis R. Jones, [a]pendics.shuffle, and Guillaume Sorge for The Process Series, which not only provides killer techno mixes, but also artist statements concerning each individual producer’s approach to mixing.
Matthew Dear is not only taking iTunes by storm with his new breed of electronic-indie-whatever, he also has a new full-length set for release on Minus, under his False moniker. The label will release a teaser 12”, “Fed on Youth,” which is also featured on the recently released compilation, Nothing Much and Something More.
Speaking of compilations, Kompakt is set to unleash Total 8, which features the usual suspects–Michael Mayer, Superpitcher, The Rice Twins–and a handful of new arrivals like Nightcats, Echo Club, and Aril Brikha. Also, Tigersushi’s Dirty Space Disco collection is a summer must-have. Paris’ Dirty Sound System delivers a choice selection of vintage Baldelli-esque, intergalactic cuts, while Roedelius, Odyssey, and Risque also make appearances.
This week sees the release of more than one anticipated techno 12”. Jeremy Caulfield’s Dumb Unit records recently dropped Lee Curtiss’ T.aint, a three-track collection of dark, moody grooves. Robert Babicz released A Cheerful Temper last month, but you may have missed the remix by techno-crossover magnate Gui Boratto.
Groove Magazine’s reader’s poll named Gabriel Ananda’s “Doppelwhipper” single of the year for 2006. Now, Tobias Becker’s Platzhirsch imprint is offering remixes of the track from Dominik Eulberg, Jason Emsley, and Supermayer. Whew.
For those who can’t get enough of this never-ending wave of Parisian dance music, read an interview with Ed Banger’s Pedro Winter (a.k.a. Busy P) on Brooklyn Vegan, where Winter discusses the founding and general execution of the label. And across the channel, the now ubiquitous Simian Mobile Disco keeps busy with a new video and a slate of confirmed tour dates. This marks the first time the duo has played live in the States.
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player