Lee "Scratch" Perry and Friends Play the Bay
- Words: Fred Miketa
Roots icon, musical innovator, and lover of multicolored hair Lee “Scratch” Perry heads to the West Coast for an eagerly anticipated live performance next week. Born Rainford Hugh Perry, the dub pioneer’s career covers the better part of 50 years and includes collaborations with artists like Bob Marley, Adrian Sherwood, and Mad Professor, as well as his own massive discography.
Saratoga, CA residents (and anyone else who wants to get in the car and drive), will have the opportunity to see Perry sharing the bill with virtuoso and master of the 8-string guitar, Charlie Hunter. Hunter will perform with his band, Charlie Hunter Trio. The double-billed concert takes place on Thursday, August 2 at the Montalvo Arts Center, home to the non-profit arts organization. Students get in for $15. Everyone else has to pay an arm and a leg, but the show ought to be well worth the money.
Thursday, August 2, 2007
Lee "Scratch" Perry with Dub Is a Weapon and Charlie Hunter Trio
Montalvo Arts Center, 15400 Montalvo Road, Saratoga, CA
Show Starts 7:30 p.m., $40, $15 for students
- GearIn the Studio: Surgeon
- GearKuvo: What Is It, How Does It Work, and Is It a Good Idea? (a.k.a. an XLR8R Interview with Pioneer About Its Newest Product)
- GearAsk the Experts: Vladislav Delay
- FeaturePachanga, Pantha du Prince, and a Japanese Drone Dance: 10 Reasons We Loved MUTEK.MX 2014
- NewsWatch a Documentary on the Club Music Culture of Colombia's Caribbean Coast
XLR8R Downloads Player