Rock Steady Crew Turns 30
- Words: Fred Miketa
Hip-hop has cycled through many phases in the last 30 years. There have been tight pant-laden MCs rhyming over disco breaks, the segregation of West vs. East Coast rap during the ’90s, the rise of the South, and more violent controversy than could even be associated with black metal. But throughout, one collective has maintained the purity of hip-hop’s four elements (DJing, breaking, graff, and of course, MCing)–Rock Steady Crew.
In celebration of the crew’s purist legacy, past and present members are holding a 30th anniversary party over the course of July 23-29.
Featuring days and nights filled with panel discussions on hip-hop’s progression (or lack thereof), an insane b-boy/b-girl break battle, a graffiti and photo exhibition, and a massive outdoor concert featuring Keith Murray (post-incarceration), EPMD, Biz Markie, and Planet Asia, the party invades the city for a hip-hop July.
Check the Rock Steady Crew site for the complete line-up.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player