Sizzla Creates I-Space
- Words: Tomas Palermo
Sizzla Kalonji (born Miguel Collins) unleashes a new album just seven months after releasing The Overstanding on Dame Dash’s imprint. But unlike that album, Sizzla’s latest, I-Space (Greensleeves), hasn’t a hint of crossover or R&B-flavored material. Instead, Byron Murray–of In The Streetz Records, and one of Jamaica’s premier reggae riddim masters–is the primary producer for many of I-Space’s tracks.
Murray’s roots productions fit Sizzla like a tightly rolled dread turban. I-Space opens with “Really and Truly” (which recently spent weeks in BBC 1-Xtra’s influential Top Ten), a tune that rides a new version of Bob Marley’s “Natural Mystic.” Linford “Fatta” Marshall (Fat Eyes Records) and Shane Brown (Juke Boxx Records) also contribute productions, including Brown’s massive Statement riddim for “Irresistible.” Other familiar riddims used on the album include I Shall Be Released (the classic Dylan song), Jamdown, Carpenter, and rocksteady-ear hit Desperate Lover.
Sizzla covers familiar subject matter–praising Jah, bigging-up his black empresses, instructions on how to live righteously–but that’s his creative comfort zone, thus each song sounds confident and is delivered with lots of vocal fluctuations and Kalonji’s patented high notes. If you’re looking for a social, erm, musical networking experience with reggae’s most prolific singjay, log onto I-Space (album available now).
1. Really And Truly
3. Long Live The King of Kings
4. Make Me Yours
5. Chant Dem Down
6. Show Some Love
7. Talk About
8. Stop The Violence
9. Only Jah Alone
10. The Woman In My Life
11. Jah Protect My Life
12. Rock My World
13. Be Careful
14. Nothing But Love
15. Put The People First
Photo By Martei Korley.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player