Zune Barbeques with Mos Def, UGK, E-40
- Words: Fred Miketa
Apparently, the digital-music innovator Zune is bent on hosting more than an assortment of tracks for download and rad software. In what might be seen as a strategic move in the corporate battle against the almighty iTunes, the Microsoft-owned company is offering the Zune Live at the BBQ series, which is based around the Zune Mantra (whoa) to “support art, music, and film in the digital space with technology and innovation.” Debuting in Los Angeles last week, the first edition included performances by Common, UGK, E-40, and Collie Budz, plus a grip of food.
Sunday, July 22, from 3 – 10 p.m. will see Zune Live at the BBQ in Chicago, with performances by Little Brother, Mos Def, Bilal, and Qualo. The venues are kept secret until two days before the show, so kids ready for ribs and indie hip-hop have a little homework to do.
In addition to the L.A. and Chicago shows, Zune’s also hosting a New York edition August 4, with a yet-to-be lineup. Where’s your iTunes now?
Little Brother is slate to perform in Chicago.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsFriends of Friends Details Fifth Anniversary Comp Featuring Shlohmo, Shigeto, Machinedrum, Nicolas Jaar, and More
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player