Black Dice Signs to Paw Tracks
- Words: Fred Miketa
Brooklyn-based Black Dice set the standard for dance-friendly noise-rock long ago, dropping albums on labels like Gravity, Troubleman Unlimited, and DFA. Now, the trio preps its debut for the Animal Collective-owned Paw Tracks imprint. Load Blown is, of course, filled with more of the spastic, cathartic, and abrasive synth-noise that is the band’s trademark, but it also showcases Black Dice’s ability to incorporate pop into the equation.
The intricate production on Load Blown is a testament to the 18 long months spent composing the album. “Kokomo,” for instance, is driven by a repetitive synth line that gets bombarded with an onslaught of tin can hits, deep, dubby bass, and vocals. Throw some meticulous bumps and clicks in there, and it looks like Load Blown is another step forward for the ever-expanding Paw Tracks catalog.
Load Blown is out October 23, 2007 on Paw Tracks.
2. Roll Up
4. Bottom Feeder
7. Toka Toka
8. Cowboy Soundcheck
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player