Little Brother Preps Third Album
- Words: Jennifer Marston
It seems most artists make a "back to basics" album at some point in their careers, and in the case of North Carolina-based hip-hop group Little Brother, the time for that record has arrived with its forthcoming third long-player, Getback.
"I think this is the closest we could get to the feeling and energy we had when we made our first records," says Big Pooh of the new album, which sees the group return to ABB Records, who released 2003's The Listening. "When I sat down to write my first rhyme, I didn't say, 'Maybe if I write this, the people at Clear Channel will love me... So when I saw myself caring about that, I knew it was a problem, and I had gotten away from the original reasons why I started making music."
Getback embodies its namesake, with the kind of tight beats, soulful flavor, and personal lyrics that had fans sitting up and taking note in the days when Little Brother was still chugging through the indie battlefields. And though the trio has become a duo since the last time we saw these guys (producer 9th Wonder left the group before Getback was recorded), the message remains the same–making dope music and having fun while you're doing it.
Getback is out September 25, 2007 on ABB.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player