Loading: XLR8R's Videogames and Tech Roundup
- Words: Ryan Rayhill
New World of Warcraft Expansion Announced
A somewhat unexpected rumor began circulating earlier this week, regarding another expansion to the nine million copy-selling World of Warcraft, tentatively titled Wrath of the Lich King. Many interneteratti cried foul doubting that such an announcement could be true so soon after the Burning Crusade expansion had been released, and concern was also expressed because Arthas, the titular Lich King, is pretty much the Warcraft Universe’s ultimate baddy. Throwing him into the mix at this point seemed like a bad move.
Well, get over it nerds, because, as announced at BlizzCon, Blizzard’s annual convention, Wrath of the Lich King is now a stone cold reality. Here are some things to expect from the Lich King’s horrible wrath, besides the six wasted months of your life:
-Master the necromantic powers of the Death Knight–World of Warcraft's first Hero class.
-Quest to level 80, gaining potent new abilities and talents along the way.
-Learn the craft of spell augmentation with the new Inscription profession.
-Brave the harsh new continent of Northrend, the icy domain of the Lich King.
-Engage in epic siege warfare, deploying mighty siege engines to lay waste to destructible buildings in your path.
-Transform your hero's look with new character-customization options, including new hairstyles and dances.
-Explore perilous new dungeons filled with some of the deadliest creatures–and greatest treasures–on Azeroth.
As a level 70 Night Elf Hunter, half of me is very excited about this. The other half is dead on the inside because of it. Christ.
Grand Theft Auto IV Delayed Until 2008
Yesterday, Take-Two Interactive announced that Grand Theft Auto IV, the latest entry in Rockstar Games’ cash-cow franchise, was not going to make it’s October 2007 release date, and would instead be released sometime during/after the second quarter of 2008.
On one hand that is shocking, because Rockstar has never NOT released a GTA in October, and despite claims that recent builds have been shaky at best, I fully expected that they would have planned and organized as best they could over the last 3 years to get this thing finished on the promised release date.
On the other hand, programming for the PS3 has proved to be tremendously difficult for almost everybody, and I would wager that putting this out for both the PS3 and Xbox 360 simultaneously proved to be a bigger challenge then the company realized.
While disappointing to many gamers, the rest of the video game industry is likely dancing a merry jig, as hundreds of millions of dollars that would have gone to GTA can now float their way this Christmas. Hannah Montana: Music Jam here we come!
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsFriends of Friends Details Fifth Anniversary Comp Featuring Shlohmo, Shigeto, Machinedrum, Nicolas Jaar, and More
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player