MF Doom Pulls an Ashlee Simpson?
- Words: Fred Miketa
Sometimes wearing a mask can benefit an MC beyond merely helping develop a recognizable image. According to an army of pissed-off indie hip-hop bloggers and message board scribes, MF Doom pulled an advanced Ashlee Simpson move last night at a sold-out show at San Francisco’s Independent venue. Apparently, a masked “Doom” took to the stage, and lip-synched over a prerecorded mix. According to blogger Fucs Jones:
“The only thing that was actually live about the show was the hypeman's mic. Everything else ran straight off a recording, and fake Doom pretended to rap and walked up and down the stage doing rapper hands. He faked his way through a set of about 20 minutes, walked off the stage, and jetted out the back door.”
It’s one thing to jump on stage and fake it because you’re too wasted or feeling exhausted, but it’s another when there’s an entirely different dude performing for a sold-out crowd. Evidently, there’s another show tonight, so we recommend checking back for the scoop.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- MP3Shiva "Dark Moon"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player