Bass Reaction!: Benga, Luke Envoy, MRK-1
- Words: Tomas Palermo
Luke Envoy and MRK-1 played September 7 at San Francisco’s Get Freaky event, with support from the Full Melt, Grime City, and BrapDem crews. XLR8R asked DJ Sam Supa to fill us in on the event (which also featured Si Begg, Freq Nasty, and Ghislain Poirier). Supa said: “Great night! When Luke got on, he dropped major plates on the already delirious crowd. His new track, “M.U.G.E.N.,” is stuck in my head–it’s a real sick, deep growler of a tune. MRK-1 stepped up and dropped a diverse and stellar set. An amazing night, and I honestly did not make it to many other rooms!”
I’m feelin' this low-deep BBC Channel 4 ting called Dubplate Drama–a soap about urban UK youth doing grime and crime with a dubstep and garage soundtrack. Imagine HBO’s The Wire set in London, with Benga and Wiley doing the background music, and you get the picture. Luke Hyam’s addictive show is entering its second season, with real MC Shystie playing the fictional rising talent Pressure, who is caught up in a web of shifting alliances. Oh, and you, the audience member, gets to vote on how each episode should end.
Wha’ gwaan in L.A.? September is a big month for the Pure Filth crew in So Cal, with Headhunter, MRK-1, and other UK guests rolling through. Big up to Sam XL, Pablo Hassan, and Breakage for their reportedly stomach-rumbling, self-assembled soundsystem.
Seen and heard: Top-ranking UK DJs Chef, Hijak, and Hatcha appear on the cover of RWD magazine’s latest issue. Bass Reaction was checking out Bristol crew Hench’s MySpace page, where Headhunter’s “The Haunted” and “Gilly Weed” can be previewed. Straight illness!
Many good tunes about to deh pon road: Hyperdub’s sixth single features The Bug with Killa P and Flo Dan’s “Skeng,” with Kode9 on the re-rub. HD’s next release is LV’s “Globetrotting.” Darqwan tells us that Texture Records’ new Loefah 12”, “Sukkah,” is out now. Darqwan’s “Warrior Stance” is on the flip. Texas sheriff Parson has his new one, an homage to his southern roots, out on Planet Mu. Parson’s newie on Dubline is out soon.
Coming soon from the very active Hotflush/Scuba imprint are new plates from DZ (“Slums Dub”), Vaccine (“Breathless”), and Toasty (“Angel” Si Begg remix.) The label’s new CD, Hotflush Presents...Space & Time, drops in October, featuring Jazzsteppa, Scuba, Boxcutter, Intext, Elemental, and many more.
Also on the forthcoming tip, gotta give props to Jason “Dubmaster” Mundo at Dub Assembly–his "Low" 10” drops soon. Argon keeps it rootsy with Babylon System’s “Loaded,” backed with the “Dancin Shoes” single. The Dub Police label’s latest single, “Fun House,” by The Others, drops any day. S.F. locals Narco.Hz’s eighth single is a remix affair featuring Juju, Komonazmuk, Tes La Rok, and Djunya.
Portland, Oregon’s DJ Monkeytek laces us with his top five dubs for this month: 1. DZ “Chalice” (Lo Dubs)
2. Roommate “Collie Weed” (dubplate)
3. Kion “Hardtimes Remix” (Clandestine)
4. Dubtron “Whendubcries (Echo Wanderer Remix)” (dubplate)
5. L-Wiz “Cowboy International” (Red Volume)
The Tek had this to say about his local yokels: “Dubstep in Portland is going very well. Ryan Organ and I run Various, a monthly night featuring rotating guests from PDX and beyond featuring dubstep, old-skool jungle, and dub. The vibes are joyful and boisterous.”
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player