Infamous Hair Wars Event Documented in New Book
- Words: Fred Miketa
Laptop DJ battles are about as lame as the cruddy DJs and producers who took part in them to begin with. A more riveting branch of competitive events can be found in Hair Wars, David “Hump Grinder” Humphries’ 20-year-old, multi-city competition that pits one outrageous hairstyle against another, now documented in a photography book of the same name by David Yellen.
Complete with images of an eight-foot-wide mohawk, some dude with a dreaded beard that hangs lower than his knees, a pimp-esque brother with what appears to be an ostrich-feather coat holding a blow-dryer like a pistol, and many more bizarre styles, Yellen’s photographs capture the Hair Wars events in all of their freakish grandeur. An introduction and interviews from fashion writer Johanna Lenander (i-D, New York Magazine) makes Hair Wars as a legitimate historical look at one of the most profound battles around–at least when compared to laptop DJs.
is available in November 2007 from powerHouse Books.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player