Infamous Hair Wars Event Documented in New Book
- Words: Fred Miketa
Laptop DJ battles are about as lame as the cruddy DJs and producers who took part in them to begin with. A more riveting branch of competitive events can be found in Hair Wars, David “Hump Grinder” Humphries’ 20-year-old, multi-city competition that pits one outrageous hairstyle against another, now documented in a photography book of the same name by David Yellen.
Complete with images of an eight-foot-wide mohawk, some dude with a dreaded beard that hangs lower than his knees, a pimp-esque brother with what appears to be an ostrich-feather coat holding a blow-dryer like a pistol, and many more bizarre styles, Yellen’s photographs capture the Hair Wars events in all of their freakish grandeur. An introduction and interviews from fashion writer Johanna Lenander (i-D, New York Magazine) makes Hair Wars as a legitimate historical look at one of the most profound battles around–at least when compared to laptop DJs.
is available in November 2007 from powerHouse Books.
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsSimian Mobile Disco Shares Second Single from 'Whorl'
- NewsIkonika Streams New Track from Upcoming Hyperdub EP, Drops New Mix
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player