Infamous Hair Wars Event Documented in New Book
- Words: Fred Miketa
Laptop DJ battles are about as lame as the cruddy DJs and producers who took part in them to begin with. A more riveting branch of competitive events can be found in Hair Wars, David “Hump Grinder” Humphries’ 20-year-old, multi-city competition that pits one outrageous hairstyle against another, now documented in a photography book of the same name by David Yellen.
Complete with images of an eight-foot-wide mohawk, some dude with a dreaded beard that hangs lower than his knees, a pimp-esque brother with what appears to be an ostrich-feather coat holding a blow-dryer like a pistol, and many more bizarre styles, Yellen’s photographs capture the Hair Wars events in all of their freakish grandeur. An introduction and interviews from fashion writer Johanna Lenander (i-D, New York Magazine) makes Hair Wars as a legitimate historical look at one of the most profound battles around–at least when compared to laptop DJs.
is available in November 2007 from powerHouse Books.
- NewsCheck Out a Playlist of the Top 100 Paradise Garage Tracks
- NewsStream a New Modeselektor Track from the Forthcoming 'Bleep:10' Compilation
- GearWatch Addison Groove Give an Extensive Tour of His Studio
- NewsCheck Out an 18-Mintue Remix from Ricardo Villalobos and Max Loderbauer
- NewsTOBACCO Shares New "Extremely NSFW" Video
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player