Salsa Con Spam: Latin-Electro Comes Full-Circle
- Words: Tomas Palermo
DJ Le Spam and his Miami-based Spam Allstars band have updated vintage Latin sounds for electronic music fans since 1993. Over the years, Spam Allstars have independently released five albums, including this year’s excellent Electrodomésticos. The band incorporates improvisational electronic elements and turntables into live Latin, funk, hip-hop, and dub, creating their own new genre: “electronic descarga.”
Now, bandleader Andrew Yeomanson, (a.k.a. DJ Le Spam) has taken on a new challenge–to select and mix his favorite tracks from salsa music’s greatest label ever–Fania Records. Fania Live.02 drops October 2 and features a live mix of originals from the label’s 1960s and ’70s catalog.
Fania artists mixed together a cornucopia of styles that transcended the boundaries of traditional Latin music and set the path for the genres of salsa, boogaloo, Latin funk, and Afro-Cuban jazz. Throughout its 42-year history, Fania has been home to jazz and Latin legends like Johnny Pacheco, Ray Barretto, Joe Cuba, Joe Bataan, Larry Harlow, Willie Colón, Héctor Lavoe, Rubén Blades, and Celia Cruz, to name a few.
“It is an honor having DJ Le Spam dig into the Fania catalog and mix this set as a tribute and testament to the ongoing legacy of great artists from the Fania label,” said Michael Rucker, Director of Marketing at Fania Records. All Fania Live releases are being exclusively mixed by a few select, renowned DJs from different cities around the world, including New York’s DJ Rumor, who did Fania Live.01.
“It’s really an honor for me to go into the Fania catalog of music and select from these tracks. I could have done five CDs,” said Yeomanson. “In the end, I went straight for those songs that found their way into my stuff over the years.” Fania Live.02 contains 16 classic and rare tracks from such legends as Willie Colon, Roberto Roena, Mongo Santamaria, and Tito Puente. As an added bonus, the mix CD also contains rare outtakes by famed New York Radio disc jockey Symphony Sid.
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Tycho
- NewsWatch a Tripped-Out Video from Thug Entrancer
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Comp
- NewsCheck Out Anthony Parasole's All-Jeff Mills Mix for Beats in Space
- NewsStream Another New Track from Four Tet's Upcoming Percussions 12"s
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player