Minus Records Expands, Contracts
- Words: Jennifer Marston
If you thought that ambient producers and obscure sound-art nerds were the only folks weird enough to worry about “sonic molecules” and “inaudible space,” the odds are, 12”s from Richie Hawtin’s Minus imprint aren’t taking up much of your crate and record shelve space. Carrying on with the imprint’s mission to hone in on the deepest (albeit the most minimal and spacious) techno available, Hawtin and co are releasing EXPANSION/contraction, a seven-track exploration into the in-between.
Due out November 20, the CD/LP features Deep Dish member Dubfire, Jesse “Heartthrob” Siminski, Minus staple Marc Houle, JPLS, and more. While EXPANSION is filled with plenty of the fuzz and sporadic bleeping that all of the aforementioned producers have become synonymous with, it still possesses the dancefloor depth that the minimal world has been waiting for. Just listen to the spooky panning and heavy-hitting bass on Troy Pierce’s “Oxytocin” for proof.
1. Dubfire “Emissions”
2. Gaiser “Mute”
3. Heartthrob “Roundabout”
4. JPLS “Isolate”
5. Mark Houle “Porch”
6. Plastikman “Risk Assessment”
7. Troy Pierce “Oxytocin”
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player