Plug Awards Announce 2008 Nominees
- Words: Fred Miketa
A look at 2008’s Plug Music Awards tells us that, though it may not be groundbreaking indie-underdogs, this year’s ceremony may be one of the most interesting competitions between independent titans in recent history. Who wouldn’t take note of an Artist of the Year battle between El-P, Animal Collective, and Radiohead? Hmmm. Predictably, Justice, Of Montreal, and Arcade Fire are up for nearly every award. Exciting.
In addition to the big dogs, there are some diverse newcomers that may illicit interesting results. Best New Artists include Deerhunter, No Age, Dan Deacon, and Battles, to name a few. Wouldn’t it be rad to see Deerhunter’s Bradford Cox pull some sick Kid Rock moves on Dan Deacon? More than a few XLR8R staffers have their fingers crossed. Other categories include Best Male and Female Artists, Album of the Year, Best Metal Album of the Year (Go Om!), and, ahem, Magazine of the Year.
For those eager to take part in the democratic process of crowning your favorite artists, you can vote via the Plug website until February 8, 2008. The corresponding awards ceremony and concert goes down in New York City on March 6.
The Hyped Nominees
Album of the Year
Justice † (Downtown/Vice/Ed Banger)
Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings 100 Days, 100 Nights (Daptone)
The National Boxer (Beggars Banquet)
Band Of Horses Cease To Begin (Sub Pop)
Spoon Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga (Merge)
Of Montreal Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer? (Polyvinyl)
El-P I'll Sleep When You're Dead (Definitive Jux)
Radiohead In Rainbows (self-released)
Battles Mirrored (Warp)
Arcade Fire Neon Bible (Merge)
Panda Bear Person Pitch (Paw Tracks)
Beirut The Flying Club Cup (Ba Da Bing)
Artist of the Year
Band Of Horses
New Artist of the Year
Bat For Lashes
Female Artist of the Year
Annie Clark (St. Vincent)
Katrina Ford (of Celebration)
Natasha Khan (of Bat For Lashes)
Male Artist of the Year:
Kevin Barnes (of Of Montreal)
Noah Lennox (Panda Bear)
Sam Beam (Iron & Wine)
Zach Condon (Beirut)
Song of the Year
Gui Boratto "Beautiful Life"
Panda Bear "Bros"
The National "Fake Empire"
Bright Eyes "Four Winds"
Arcade Fire "Keep The Car Running"
Grinderman "No Pussy Blues"
Of Montreal "Suffer For Fashion"
Spoon "The Underdog"
Menomena "Wet And Rusting"
Sea Wolf "You're A Wolf"
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsFriends of Friends Details Fifth Anniversary Comp Featuring Shlohmo, Shigeto, Machinedrum, Nicolas Jaar, and More
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player