Burial Rising In Charts and Respect
- Words: Tomas Palermo
South London-based experimental dubstep artist Burial is rising in mainstream dance charts as his groundbreaking sophomore album, Untrue, continues to win new fans. The album is now ranked above Dizzee Rascal, Simian Mobile Disco, and Justice on the BBC weekly electronic music charts. Untrue has media critics, bloggers, and others abuzz, and is expected to be on year-end “best of” charts, from the Village Voice to the London Guardian. The album receives a 92-out-of-100 points rating from the review-compiling Metacritic web portal.
Corpsey, a poster to Dubstepforum, writes, “No way this album's not going to blow. My mates who aren't into dubstep [and] garage at all think it's great. Guess it’s the vocals that grab people.” This comment sums up the general momentum behind Untrue, an album that’s well worth the hype. It consists of haunted garage and soul vocal snippets that swim in an Aphex or Boards of Canada-style melodic swirl. Some tracks are decidedly bleak and meditative, while others hint at rays of hope in the distance.
Burial is interviewed in new issue of respected music publication The Wire, which features no direct photos of the notoriously press-shy producer. All of the artist’s back catalog is available on producer Kode 9’s Hyperdub imprint, and includes a number of singles, along with his self-titled debut album.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player