Darondo Live in San Francisco Tonight
The abridged history of S.F. legend Darondo goes like this: He started recording low-rider soul, blues, and r&b in the early '70s, making a name for himself through his releases, connections, and the white Rolls Royce he drove around the Bay Area. But three 45s in, Darondo ceased producing music and all but disappeared.
Fast forward to 2007 and his music is undergoing a revival, thanks to DJs like Giles Peterson, who have been dropping Darondo's music into their sets. And let's not forget the good people at Ubiquity, who have collected the six tracks from those original singles and compiled them onto one disc, along with three previously unreleased songs. Now, the man himself heads back to the stage, with a one-off live show in San Francisco tonight.
Head to the label's site to listen to and purchase the Let My People Go comp, watch videos, and read more about this artist.
Date: Wednesday, December 19
Venue: Rickshaw Stop, 155 Fell St., S.F.
Details: Doors open 8 p.m., $10, 21+
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player