Pon Di Wire: Lucky Dube Tribute, Dancehall Street Battles, New Tunes for 2008.
- Words: Tomas Palermo
Members of Mavado and Vybz Kartel’s entourages squared off at the popular street dance Bembe Thursdays in Kingston. A reporter from OutARoad commented: “Mavado and him crew did stand in the direction of the bathroom, and it seems like Kartel and a few men from his entourage was heading in that same direction when Mavado’s thugs tried to stop them from passing through the middle, and then things got ugly. Bottle mash in a head, kick and punch and all sort of things erupted.” Police moved in quickly to break up the incident.
Is Beenie Man a $30,000 man? According to Xnews, that was the dancehall artist’s requested fee to perform at Sting December 26. Both Sting promoter Isaiah Laing and Beenie’s manager deny the claim and won’t disclose monetary compensation requests. Beenie is not scheduled to perform this year at Sting, but some predict he’ll be a last minute addition to ratchet up excitement (and press). Meanwhile, Ninjaman has expressed his willingness to clash Bounty Killer or other acts at 2007 Sting. “If it is killing, I am willing, anything come out, mi ready fi kill, mi no inna the chatty chatty thing,” said the clash veteran, who has been involved in famous face-offs with the likes of heavyweights like Cobra, Shabba, and Super Cat.
Speaking of concerts, the December 8 Culture Explosion at Amazura in Queens, New York was a major success. The show featured performances from Sizzla–who sang for well over an hour and covered more than 30 of his legendary tunes–plus Rasta vocalist Gyptian, Chuck Fenda, dancehall veteran Courtney Melody, and smooth-voiced cultural crooner Ras Shiloh.
Reggae Vibes reports that a new Lucky Dube tribute song and video is in the works. Jah Birth New Ltd., based in Kingston, Jamaica, has secured an exclusive deal with the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) to acquire the full and exclusive rights to Prophecy’s single “Chance–A Tribute To Lucky Dube,” including the single’s video. The song was written and recorded in Jamaica and was dedicated to Lucky Dube (pictured above) after he was murdered in Johannesburg on October 18.
Caribbean video site Watch Mi is featuring their exclusive acappella video version of Jah Cure’s new song “My Life.”
New tunes galore will hit the streets in coming weeks. Dancehall received a recharge in 2007 from new talents Deva Brat, Munga, Mavado, and Demarco. Look for new tunes from these artists on Pure Music’s Shoota riddim, Jam 2’s Splash Out and QB’s Eclipse beat. Buju Banton’s new single “Cowboys,” on the Three Blind Mice riddim, should be dropping soon on his label Gargamel Music. For abums, singer Wayne Marshall’s second one drops in spring 2008, and is produced by Big Ship’s Stephen McGreggor. Luciano’s Jah Is My Navigator is out February 12 on VP.
Sweet singer Terry Linen is back with a new video for “Mood For Love.” YardFlex reports that the track is Terry Linen's comeback for the diminutive singer who carries a distinctive voice that had early success with the tune "Couldn't Be The Girl For Me." However, his 1999 cover of Whitney Houston's "Your Love Is My Love" catapulted him into international attention.
Known for his hit “Lonely Girl” on the Hard Times riddim, 29-year old Jamaican dancehall artist Bascom X (Ryan Sudlow) was arrested on Sunday, December 23 at his Hellshire, St Catherine home and charged with illegal possession of firearms.
BBC 1Xtra’s Reggae Chart
1. Shaggy feat. Rik Rok & Tony Gold “Bonafide” (Big Yard
2. Tarrus Riley “She's Royal” (Cannon)
3. Duane Stephenson “Ghetto Pain” (VP)
4. Wayne Wonder “Again” (Birchill)
5. Mavado “Squeeze Her Breast” (H20)
6. Da'Ville feat. Sean Paul “Always On My Mind (Remix)” (VP)
7. Various Silver Screen Riddim (Don Corleon)
8. I Wayne Book Of Life (VP)
9. Maxi Priest & Richie Stephens “My Girl Dis” (Joe Frasier)
10. Queen Ifrica “Below The Waist” (Flames)
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player