Test Press Thursdays Reloads for New Year
- Words: Tomas Palermo
San Francisco digital music academy Pyramind will again host its electronic music producers forum, Test Press Thursdays. Now in its third year, the event invites amateur and bedroom producers to debut new tracks and have them evaluated before a panel of industry experts.
The song review panels will resume their quarterly schedule again in 2008, starting January 17 and continuing throughout the year on April 17, July 17, and October 16. These will all take place at Pyramind’s new facilities at 832 Folsom St.
Test Press was started in 2005 by the electronic and dance music committee of the San Francisco Chapter of the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (NARAS). Pyramind’s Greg Gordon and friends launched it as a means to empower producers and share expert tips.
Test Press’ entrants span many genres, from drum & bass to minimal techno, funky house, and electronic pop. Each producer is given feedback on his or her song’s strengths or needed improvements. Technology sponsors such as Ableton and M-Audio also present and showcase new gear at the events.
On October 13, Pyramind Institute for Advanced Digital Audio training opened its new campus and launched Epiphyte Records, which debuted the audio/DVD Test Press SF, featuring tracks by previous Test Press Thursday winners. Pyramind offers certificates in Digifesign Pro Tools, Apple Logic, Waves, Reason, and many other digital music programs.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player