Dntel, Panda Bear, Spank Rock Participate in Visionaire Issue 53
- Words: Ali Gitlow
When I tried explaining the ultra-fancy art and culture magazine Visionaire to my boyfriend, his response was “Does it come with a blowjob and a French press and a gift certificate to a fine haberdashery?” Well… almost.
The hip Visonaire, based in New York, has come out three times a year since 1991, with each issue focusing on an esoteric theme. (Past themes have included Faces, Private, and Heaven). The limited-edition tome is delivered in everything from traditional book format to GAP travel bags and Tiffany boxes, and has featured guest editors and contributors including David Bowie, Kehinde Wiley, and Spike Jonze. In short, Visionaire ain’t playin’.
For the 53rd issue, called SOUND, Visionaire takes concept further than ever before. Teaming up with car company MINI Cooper, they’ve created a five-tiered tower of 12-inch vinyl records, each of which can be played by placing a special toy MINI car on the surface. The records contain over 100 original sound pieces from the likes of Dntel, Miranda July, Spank Rock, Fischerspooner, Miss Kittin and Panda Bear–essentially, a high-design mixtape. To up the ante even more, artists like Cindy Sherman and Ryan McGinley lend images to the records’ facades.
At $250 a pop, SOUND is not for the weak of wallet, but if you dig the pomp and circumstance, flick your plastic at visionaireworld.com.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player