This week’s Pon Di Wire is “live”-icated to the great trumpeter, Johnny “Dizzy” Moore, who passed away Saturday, August 16 at age 70. In 1963, Moore joined Tommy McCook, Roland Alphonso, and Lloyd Knibb in The Skatalites, Jamaica’s most noted jazz orchestra. Read more »
Those Manchester, U.K.-based disco rockers in The Whip released their X Marks Destination album earlier this year on Southern Fried, and they have a large handful of tour dates planned, for which they'll show off material from the release. Check a recent performance here, when the band played this past July at McCarren Park in Brooklyn. Much head nodding behind the PowerBook ensues here. Read more »
Release Date: Out Now
A comprehensive sampler of many different styles of music (everything from psychedelia to future-folk), Migration finds this Brooklyn-based band turning the indie-pop sound on its head, experimenting with rhythms, tempos, and the like, proving there's more than one way to strum a guitar.
Read more »
"Muxtape will be unavailable for a brief period while we sort out a problem with the RIAA," is what the virtual mixtape's site currently states. No information as to what exactly the issues are is known, though anyone familiar with the site, which hosts more free music than a large record shop, could take a guess. Muxtape's blog has also posted a note that says, "No artists or labels have complained. The site is not closed indefinitely. Stay tuned."
Read more »
The connection between Ethiopia and Jamaica dates back to the 1930s, when Jamaican Leonard Howell founded the Rastafarian movement. Inspired by Marcus Garvey’s teachings, Howell propagated that Ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie I was the black Messiah. Selassie visited Jamaica in 1966 and the Ethiopian Amharic language has been taught on the island for decades. Read more »
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsWatch a New Video for Fatima's "Rest in Peace"
- NewsIkonika Streams New Track from Upcoming Hyperdub EP, Drops New Mix
- MP3Remote "Alcyone (Matt Walsh Remix)"
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player