Faunts Drop New EP, Album in 2008
- Words: Tomas Palermo
Eno, The Orb, Underworld, Radiohead, and Loscil are a few notable electronic/indie standard-bearers who dazzle listeners with their subtle, sublime, amorphous music. The term “ambient” doesn’t do justice to these artists, who incorporate cinematic features, dub bass, layered melodies and of course, clever rhythmic addition and subtraction. Now, add Edmonton, Canada’s classy five-piece ensemble Faunts to the aforementioned list of dream-inducing sound sculptors, with their new M4 EP as compositional evidence.
The five-song EP, available now on Friendly Fire Recordings, was created for a live performance hosted by the Film And Video Arts Society, to accompany three independent short films. Hence, the music patiently unfolds in lush widescreen scenes, with gentle electronic beats and dense synths surrounded by an effect-drenched fog. Faunts have honed their sound over a career spanning seven years, which has included recording the 2005 album High Expectations/Low Results (Friendly Fire) and playing live with fellow Canucks Broken Social Scene, Stars, and Do Make Say Think.
A second album is in the works for fall 2008. A remix companion to the LP will also be released, with contributions from Cadence Weapon, Trail of Dead, Copy, and others.
1. M4 (Part II)
3. M4 (Part I)
4. Meno Mony Falls
5. Of Nature
- NewsTeebs, Jonwayne, Baths, Daedelus, Ras G and More to Feature in Upcoming LA Beat Scene Documentary
- NewsBen Sims Announces Final Release for Theory, Taps Marcel Dettmann, DVS1, Luke Slater, and Surgeon for Remixes
- MP3Real Cosby "Always (feat. Marilyn Baker)"
- FeatureDrums, DJ Dez, and The D: 10 Things You Need to Know About Andrés
- MP3Dream Koala "Saturn Boy (Kid Smpl Remix)"
XLR8R Downloads Player